January 1st
Happy New Years! So today is Monday. It’s p-day, so today we had a zone party for
New Year’s Eve/Christmas combined. It was awesome to say the least. We played
American Football and then we had some lunch which was really amazing then we
watched a slideshow/movie of pictures from throughout the year of the missionaries
and what they accomplished. Then we headed into town and we were able to get to
the internet cafe so we could email home which just made my day it was amazing.
My favorite part was when mom sent me photos from home and I was able to download
those now next week I’m going to head into town on p-day and get them printed out so
I can put in memory book and to say the least we took a little long at the internet cafe
well Elder Johnson wasn’t quite finished emailing when we should have been done,
but that was okay it was still really good so we weren’t able to get out and go proselyting
in the evening but that is okay we will make up next week and tomorrow and so it’s
kind of funny we rode pedal bodas into the cafe but we couldn’t find any that would
take us home so we ended up just walking home which is about 45 minute to an hour
walk so that’s why we got home too late to go out tracting and such. Yea, that is my
journal entry for January 1, 2018.
American Football and then we had some lunch which was really amazing then we
watched a slideshow/movie of pictures from throughout the year of the missionaries
and what they accomplished. Then we headed into town and we were able to get to
the internet cafe so we could email home which just made my day it was amazing.
My favorite part was when mom sent me photos from home and I was able to download
those now next week I’m going to head into town on p-day and get them printed out so
I can put in memory book and to say the least we took a little long at the internet cafe
well Elder Johnson wasn’t quite finished emailing when we should have been done,
but that was okay it was still really good so we weren’t able to get out and go proselyting
in the evening but that is okay we will make up next week and tomorrow and so it’s
kind of funny we rode pedal bodas into the cafe but we couldn’t find any that would
take us home so we ended up just walking home which is about 45 minute to an hour
walk so that’s why we got home too late to go out tracting and such. Yea, that is my
journal entry for January 1, 2018.
January 2nd
So today was actually a really good day we did service from 10:30 till about 2 pm which
was a little long but the jaja needed it. By the way, jaja means grandma so that is what
we call the older members in the branch is jaja. So anyways Elder Barber, Johnson and
I were able to chop down a tree today heck yeah it was awesome it took forever and I
got three blisters from it. Gosh, but other then that it was awesome. Service is amazing
I love helping the older members they need so much help here and it is just awesome
to go out and serve them. And we then went to Mama Sarah’s Restaurant, oh my gosh
sooo good and sooo cheap. So about a meal costs 40,000 shillings which is about $1
to $1.25 here which is really good. So we had 5 lessons planned for today we got
bounced at every single one except 2, but those lessons were amazing, the Spirit was
really strong. I know that the African field is white and ready to harvest and even
though it is hard I’m ready to thrust in my sickle with my might and lay up in storage.
So can't wait to keep going on for these 2 years. There was a 3rd lesson that we could
have taught but we had to reschedule it because the DL, Elder Apia, planned a dinner
appointment and didn’t think to tell us til about 3 hours before it actually happened, so
yeah. We worked it out with the last lesson so everything was okay. We had dinner at
Mama G’s. I don’t know how people can lose weight on this mission, dang these
Africans cook us a lot of food and man it is soooo good. I mean I miss the American
food, but I’m used to this African food and they eat a lot of rice and a lot of beans,
but it is very very good. So tomorrow we have interviews. Yeah. Alright I’ll talk to you
all on Wednesday or I mean I’ll have another journal entry on Wednesday. Adios.
January 3rd
So Wednesday, was my first interview with President Collings on the mission, so basically he asked us how I was doing and how I was adjusting. Just talked it over with him. Everything is going good and so he asked me how I liked my trainer, Elder Johnson. I feel like Elder Johnson is doing a very great job. So, anyway after interviews we went out and ate at a deli which is like a super restaurant that is considered you have to be rich or white to go there; which we are white and we are definitely not rich but it is expensive for Uganda money but it is amazing it has all this American food that you get to eat and it is just super expensive with the money that we get here and we went and ordered some photos that the family sent me. Can't wait to get them printed out and put them in my memory book I rode my first taxi and dang it was packed. They had like 14 people in like a 3-seater van. It was crazy. We had 3 lessons planned for today, but they all bounced until Sharon who we had planned for first got home from work. So she called us and we were able to teach a lesson which i good. We saw some riders whoa that was crazy umm they just don't want the president to be president anymore there is a law that he is trying to abolish that you can't run after you are 73 years of age and he turns 73 this year and he has been the president for like 40 years and all the people don't want him there anymore. So that was pretty funny to watch. Other then that one more day down.
January 4th
Thursday that day was amazing we got to have exchanges with the zone leaders AKA Zone Lords we got Elder Barrington while his comp went with another companionship of missionaries from Walukuba. It's actually really cool he's an amazing guy. I hope we stay in touch after he goes home he's only 8 months older then me and he goes home in June but awesome guy awesome guy. He has signed with BYU to play football so he's a big boy funny thing is he hasn't told BYU how much he's lost on the mission he's lost about 80 lbs so that means he's got to gain about 100 lbs when he gets home but its awesome. He's a super cool guy and he has a younger brother who has also signed with BYU so when his younger brother gets back from his mission they will be able to play together which I think is cool. Anyway we got some amazing tracting in and we found a jaja which means grandma, but we found one who is less active but she wants to reactivate in the coming year her son is a non member and he has a word of wisdom problems, but we hope we can help him work through that he has a friend that we are going to teach as well. The friend he's ready to harvest I just know after teaching him that first lesson wow it was amazing. I love being on this adventure. Sure it's hard, but I know that God sent me here for a reason and I know that in two years isn't long compared to how long my life is, so hopefully I can do what needs to be done. I have such a short time to do it in, so lets do this. Also Happy Birthday to Olivia, love you girl. Have one of the best days. Alright guys, see ya tomorrow.
January 5th
was a little long but the jaja needed it. By the way, jaja means grandma so that is what
we call the older members in the branch is jaja. So anyways Elder Barber, Johnson and
I were able to chop down a tree today heck yeah it was awesome it took forever and I
got three blisters from it. Gosh, but other then that it was awesome. Service is amazing
I love helping the older members they need so much help here and it is just awesome
to go out and serve them. And we then went to Mama Sarah’s Restaurant, oh my gosh
sooo good and sooo cheap. So about a meal costs 40,000 shillings which is about $1
to $1.25 here which is really good. So we had 5 lessons planned for today we got
bounced at every single one except 2, but those lessons were amazing, the Spirit was
really strong. I know that the African field is white and ready to harvest and even
though it is hard I’m ready to thrust in my sickle with my might and lay up in storage.
So can't wait to keep going on for these 2 years. There was a 3rd lesson that we could
have taught but we had to reschedule it because the DL, Elder Apia, planned a dinner
appointment and didn’t think to tell us til about 3 hours before it actually happened, so
yeah. We worked it out with the last lesson so everything was okay. We had dinner at
Mama G’s. I don’t know how people can lose weight on this mission, dang these
Africans cook us a lot of food and man it is soooo good. I mean I miss the American
food, but I’m used to this African food and they eat a lot of rice and a lot of beans,
but it is very very good. So tomorrow we have interviews. Yeah. Alright I’ll talk to you
all on Wednesday or I mean I’ll have another journal entry on Wednesday. Adios.
January 3rd
So Wednesday, was my first interview with President Collings on the mission, so basically he asked us how I was doing and how I was adjusting. Just talked it over with him. Everything is going good and so he asked me how I liked my trainer, Elder Johnson. I feel like Elder Johnson is doing a very great job. So, anyway after interviews we went out and ate at a deli which is like a super restaurant that is considered you have to be rich or white to go there; which we are white and we are definitely not rich but it is expensive for Uganda money but it is amazing it has all this American food that you get to eat and it is just super expensive with the money that we get here and we went and ordered some photos that the family sent me. Can't wait to get them printed out and put them in my memory book I rode my first taxi and dang it was packed. They had like 14 people in like a 3-seater van. It was crazy. We had 3 lessons planned for today, but they all bounced until Sharon who we had planned for first got home from work. So she called us and we were able to teach a lesson which i good. We saw some riders whoa that was crazy umm they just don't want the president to be president anymore there is a law that he is trying to abolish that you can't run after you are 73 years of age and he turns 73 this year and he has been the president for like 40 years and all the people don't want him there anymore. So that was pretty funny to watch. Other then that one more day down.
January 4th
Thursday that day was amazing we got to have exchanges with the zone leaders AKA Zone Lords we got Elder Barrington while his comp went with another companionship of missionaries from Walukuba. It's actually really cool he's an amazing guy. I hope we stay in touch after he goes home he's only 8 months older then me and he goes home in June but awesome guy awesome guy. He has signed with BYU to play football so he's a big boy funny thing is he hasn't told BYU how much he's lost on the mission he's lost about 80 lbs so that means he's got to gain about 100 lbs when he gets home but its awesome. He's a super cool guy and he has a younger brother who has also signed with BYU so when his younger brother gets back from his mission they will be able to play together which I think is cool. Anyway we got some amazing tracting in and we found a jaja which means grandma, but we found one who is less active but she wants to reactivate in the coming year her son is a non member and he has a word of wisdom problems, but we hope we can help him work through that he has a friend that we are going to teach as well. The friend he's ready to harvest I just know after teaching him that first lesson wow it was amazing. I love being on this adventure. Sure it's hard, but I know that God sent me here for a reason and I know that in two years isn't long compared to how long my life is, so hopefully I can do what needs to be done. I have such a short time to do it in, so lets do this. Also Happy Birthday to Olivia, love you girl. Have one of the best days. Alright guys, see ya tomorrow.
January 5th
January 5, 2018
Alright so Friday was super super spiritual we were able to go teach Emily who was the jaja we found yesterday and wow so we got to teach Enoch who is the family friend as well. He's the one that's ready to be harvested. Thomas her son wasn't there so that was unfortunate but it was super nice to have Emily there too help explain the gospel to Enoch and Enoch has been taught before but the missionary that he was really good friends with left and went home so it kind of broke his heart and he hasn't seen them since. But Emily kind of pushed him and he's starting to see us and she also bore her testimony which is a very powerful testimony I felt the spirit so much and after that lesson we were able to commit Enoch to come to church with Emily and to be baptized on January 28th of this year if he came to know that the gospel is true and he said he would if he came to know that it is true. So that was super amazing. The Holy Ghost was so strong in that lesson and I'm surprised at how fast this time has gone by. Time does really speed up when you forget yourself and go to work. Especially when you are doing the Lord's work. Like I said before two years is such a short time even though I'm only into the mission about a month and a week I know that if I don't do what I'm here to do then I know I'll regret this and I don't want to regret this Mission so I'll do my best see you guys tomorrow.
January 6, 2018
Well Saturday wow today could have been better if people would not have bounced us but everything happens for a reason so we were able to have weekly planning which was super good we were able to set goals and people for the upcoming week. We have five people who have said they will be baptized if they come to know this church is true so hopefully that that happens we've got 2 on the 14th and 3 on the 28th so we're hoping that it all works out. The power went out right before weekly planning and it went out literally right as Elder Johnson got into the shower so you could just hear him yelling that the water was cold. It was pretty funny. So we had Five Lessons plan for today but four of them bounced but we got lucky as we were at the church after lunch and we found an investigator or niabo I can't really remember what it means but it's just what we call females here girls is what I believe it means. We were able to find a niabo at the church we were able to teach and she said she is going to come to church tomorrow she wants to join our church so that's pretty cool but anyway. So we were able to teach Sandra the mama who is paralyzed on her one side of her body and she said she is willing to come to church tomorrow no matter what nothing will stop her so that is super super powerful and I just want to help her to do that and I know that God can do miracles I know that if it really is her time to be here then God will make that happen so I love being on this Mission sometimes it's hard but I remember why here and what I'm here to do and I know that God will bless me for being here Also happy birthday Ella have an amazing day girl keep learning that Mandarin I'm having a hard time I'm learning the Uganda language so I only know Katona Katona which is small small. But I'll keep learning it slowly but surely so Ella good job you're learning Mandarin literally the hardest language in the world to learn. I love you! Have a great day.
January 7, 2018
Fast Sunday awesome so today was the end of the third week for me being out in the field so far it's kind of flew by time wise I'm surprised but just have to remember to keep working and forget myself and go to work so it was fast Sunday today and fast and testimony meeting was interesting because almost everyone shared their testimony in the Uganda language so I couldn't understand it but it was still super powerful and the Holy Ghost was still so strong and it ended up being a good sacrament meeting. But we had zero investigators show up so that kind of sucked but I know there's going to be great days and there will be bad days on my mission so so we had District lunch again Elder Johnson and I cooked we had rice with noodles and some stir fry it was good. After that we went finding and we were able to teach Thomas who's Emily’s son. Emily is the jaja that is less active. Thomas is addicted to alcohol and we were able to teach him the word of wisdom we gave him a pamphlet so hopefully he reads it. We then went to a dinner appointment with the rest of the district that was good but we didn't get home till like 10, so our neighbors in the compound had locked the top bolt on the gate which we can't get to unless we get it from the inside so Elder Johnson had to crawl underneath the gate and unlock it from the inside. That was pretty funny actually. He got stuck like twice. So as I've been thinking 2 years seems like a long time, but it's actually short when you compare it to the rest of your lifetime. I know it's hard for me to be away from family for this long, but I know that as long as I serve him and forget myself and go to work for the rest of these two years I know I'll be home before I know it and I just want to be sure and leave the mission knowing that I did all I could. Hopefully it goes well we’ll talk to you guys tomorrow.
| Elder Johnson crawling under the compound gate so we could get into our apartment. |
No comments:
Post a Comment